I think we can all agree that, by and large, 2020 has sucked wet dog fur.
There’s been some brilliant music released so far this year, so it’s not all bad. I mean…yet. It could always get worse, right?
Herewith, then, ten recommended albums—released over the last eight months or so—to remind you that beauty and creativity still exist. Or, if nothing else, to help take your mind off the coming hellstorm.
• Ambrose Akinmusire, on the tender spot of every calloused moment
• Mino Cinelu & Nils Petter Molvær, SulaMadiana
• Bob Dylan, Rough and Rowdy Ways
• Yair Elazar Glotman & Mats Erlandsson, Emanate
• Roger Eno & Brian Eno, Mixing Colours
• The Necks, Three
• Pantha du Prince, Conference of Trees
• The Pineapple Thief, Versions of the Truth
• Max Richter, Voices
• Gil Scott-Heron, We’re New Again: A Re-Imagining by Makaya McCraven